Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Week 3: Vegetarian Cassoulet


I found this recipe on allrecipes.com for Vegetarian Cassoulet.  It seemed promising and the fact that was based on a French dish was a bonus in getting Liz to participate in Crockpot Wednesdays again.  I didn't follow it exactly though.  I had planned to use garlic but since we were out I added garlic powder to the onions and carrots.  I used rosemary and thyme (what is savory anyway?).
It was good.  Andrew really liked it and had seconds.  Although I liked it I would have preferred more broth.  It was thick and filling- I couldn't finish mine.  And no surprise here - I added red pepper flakes and a dash of Frank's Red Hot to my serving.

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 pound dry navy beans, soaked overnight
  • 4 cups mushroom broth
  • 1 cube vegetable bouillon
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 sprigs fresh parsley
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
  • 1 sprig fresh lemon thyme, chopped
  • 1 sprig fresh savory
  • 1 large potato, peeled and cubed

  • Directions

  1. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and carrots in oil until tender.
  2. In a slow cooker, combine beans, carrots and onion, mushroom broth, bouillon, and bay leaf. Pour in water if necessary to cover ingredients with water. Tie together parsley, rosemary, thyme, and savory, and add to the pot. Cook on Low for 8 hours.
  3. Stir in potato, and continue cooking for 1 hour. Remove herbs before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea what savory is. I skipped it too. I couldn't find thyme either, so mine ended up tasting heavy on rosemary. I also thought it'd be soupy-er. And it was richer tasting than I expected. Overall, I liked it -- but probably not enough to make it again -- and Angelica won't eat it.

    ReplyDelete