Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Week 1: Mediterranean Vegetable Stew

I rounded up my sister and a friend and got them to agree to Crock Pot Wednesdays.  Time to finally try out some of the recipes I've collected and dust off the crock pot.  Meal planning! It will change your life, right?  OK not really.  H picked the first recipe:

Mediterranean Vegetable Stew

  • 1 medium eggplant, chopped
  • 2 zucchini, chopped
  • 1 red or green bell pepper, or half of each color, seeded, diced
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped, or 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 cans garbanzo beans, (14 oz each), drained and rinsed
  • 1 can artichoke hearts packed in water (14 oz), drained and quartered
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried leaf oregano
  • freshly ground pepper
  • salt
  • crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 package egg noodles
Combine all ingredients except noodles in slow cooker and stir well. Cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours. Serve with hot cooked noodles.


The verdict?  It was so-so.  I added lots of red pepper flakes to my serving.  Kids weren't thrilled with it but I got them to eat a fair amount by putting grated cheddar cheese on top and giving them crackers to spread it on.

I didn't know I was going to start a blog so I didn't take a picture.  Next week.

3 comments:

  1. As you know, I participated in crockpot Wednesday a day late... with similar results. It seemed a bit bland and overcooked. I also added red pepper flakes (plus olive oil and salt). Angelica was thrilled with it, though, because she loved the noodles. I did manage to get her to eat the stew, too, but only because I told her I'd give her more noodles if she took three more bites of the stew :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, I'm impressed you got a picture of yourself up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and, I guess since you follow Balkan Brilliance, I better post again!

    ReplyDelete